The Alliance of Universities for Democracy (AUDEM), in conjunction with Sam Houston State University, is pleased to announce its Emerging Scholars Program. This program has been developed to financially support emerging scholars in Central and Eastern Europe, allowing them to attend the annual AUDEM Conference for no cost. This year the conference will be held at the Faculty of Philosophy at SS. Cyril and Methodius University in Skopje, Macedonia from October 19th to 21st, 2014.
The AUDEM Emerging Scholars Program (AESP) will cover registration costs, meals and accommodation for the duration of the conference (4 nights) for five scholars from Macedonia and the surrounding region. The program will also fund up to 100 Euro in travel expenses.
In addition to providing financial support to attend the conference, AESP will fund a professional development trip to the United States during the Spring 2015 semester for two of the five selected scholars. During that visit they will have an opportunity to visit two universities in the United States and meet with faculty and students of those universities.
To be eligible for funding through the AESP, applicants should be academics early in their early professional career, who have had little or no opportunity to present at an international conference, and who are interested in developing international professional contacts. Specific eligibility requirements are:
- An earned terminal degree awarded within the last four years.
- Employment as a member of the faculty at an academic institution in Central or Eastern Europe.
- A willingness to register, attend, and present at the Annual Conference of the Alliance of Universities for Democracy.
The AESP is open to all academic disciplines.
The AESP provides the following benefits to successful applicants:
- No-cost registration for the AUDEM Annual Conference
- Accommodation for the duration of the conference (4 nights)
- Meals during the conference
- Up to 100 Euros in documented travel expenses.
For those AES’s selected to visit the United States in Spring 2015 the program also offers:
- Round-trip airfare.
- Food and lodging during your stay in the United States (two weeks).
- Transportation while in the United States.
- A designated mentor/guide during your stay.
Successful AESP applicants will be expected to attend and present an academic paper at the AUDEM Annual Conference.
AESP applicants selected to visit the United States in Spring 2015 will be expected to:
- Give a one-hour open lecture to faculty members at each of the two host institutions. This lecture should be focused on previous and future research.
- Meet with graduate and undergraduate students interested in study abroad opportunities at your home institution and other institutions in your home country.
- Deliver a lecture to undergraduate and graduate students at each of the host institutions.
- Give a general talk to a local civic group designated and set up by the host institution.
- Provide a written report of their experiences to the AUDEM Board and to their home institutions.
How to Apply
The application deadline is August 31st 2014
AESP applicants should provide the following in electronic form:
- A statement expressing interest in the program, indicating the academic discipline and field of research interest.
- A personal statement identifying how the applicant would benefit from program.
- Two letters of reference, either from the applicant’s home institution or from dissertation/thesis supervisors.
- An abstract for a presentation to the AUDEM conference of not more than 500 words. Check the Call for Papers on the AUDEM website for more information on the conference theme. (www.audem.org)
- An up-to-date Curriculum Vita.
AESP applicants should send their application materials to Kelli Arena, Executive Director of the Global Center for Journalism and Democracy at Sam Houston State University (email@example.com). Applications will be reviewed by a committee comprised of AUDEM members. Applicants will be notified of the status of their application by September 10th 2014.